Our IPA Vision
The LBJ Belgian IPA (India Pale Ale) was designed with a reduced hop presence to highlight our Belgian yeast. With our Belgian IPA we balanced the fruitiness of the hops and spiciness coming from our signature Belgian yeast. The hops we selected have always brought tropical aromas of stone fruit, citrus, and pine.
Appearance and Taste
The beer pours a deep rich golden colour with an off-white head of foam. The initial flavour showcases the Belgian yeast fermentation characteristics leading into hop flavours of tropical stone fruit, melon, and citrus. The finish has a slight sweetness mixed with the lingering bitterness.
Citra hops are added to our IPA during the whirlpool addition of the brew and during the dry hop process. This hop is high in alpha acids (12% – 15%) which contributes greatly to the aroma of the beer. When smelling this hop, expect notes of thyme, lemongrass and verbena.
Amarillo hops are added to our IPA during the whirlpool addition of the brew and during the dry hop process.Amarillo, meaning yellow in Spanish, refers to the hops’ yellowish colour.
- American aroma hop Citra was created by John I. Haas, Inc. and the Hop Breeding Company, developed in 2007
- Commonly found in American Pale Ale and IPA’s
- One of the top 10 aroma hop varieties used by craft brewers in North America
- Discovered by Virgil Gamache Farms in the Yakima Valley, this legendary variety is currently in the top 10 most widely used hops.
- This gives it a very sweet citrus flavor and aroma that is closer to oranges than grapefruit. The citrus character is backed by some light floral notes as well as melon and peaches.